Company: Summit Electric Supply
Position: Internship/Distribution Associate
Date available: Mid-May 2012
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Deadline for application: January 16, 2012
Submitted by: Matt Kelley ([email protected], 505-346-2900 x1422)
Summit Electric Supply is an industry-leading, independent, privately held, and multi-state wholesale distributor of electrical products and services with locations in Arizona, Louisiana, New Mexico, and Texas. Summit ranked #22 among the top 200 electrical distributors in the nation based on 2009 sales of $308 million. We are committed to remaining on the leading edge of technology, offering the newest electrical products and services available, so we can effectively meet the complex and expanding needs of our customers.
Summit offers a 12-week training plan that makes sure you get to see all aspects of how a successful distributor operates. Interns will also be expected to conduct additional training in Summit University, Summit’s online training program.
Get out of the classroom and experience the real world of electrical distribution with an industry leader.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Weeks 1-3: Warehouse training that includes all the basics of logistics, like shipping, receiving, stocking, filling orders to meet delivery schedules, and supporting counter sales staff.
- Weeks 4-7: Counter sales training where you’ll use all the product knowledge learned in the warehouse to deal directly with customers, face to face.
- Week 8-11: Work inside sales as a customer service representative, shadow project quotations people, and shadow account managers on sales calls.
- Week 12: Spend time in purchasing and with an operations manager; shadow your service center leader for a day, and explore other departments like Accounting, Training, Finance, and Associate Services.
You’ll have mentors each step of the way, plus you’ll have weekly meetings with your service center leader to track your progress.
Summit will provide a furnished apartment for the duration of the internship. Interns must have health insurance and Summit will not provide any health benefits, sick/vacation/holiday pay, or other benefits during the internship.
Strong customer service orientation for both internal and external customers. Excellent oral and written interpersonal and communication skills.
How to apply:
Due to a scheduling conflict this year, Summit will not be able to attend the February Spring Event and will be conducting interviews January 25-27. Submit resume through Career Services by Monday, January 16 by sending to Joni Weed, [email protected]. For questions on submitting your resume, contact Joni at 308.865.8799.
For additional information on jobs posted on our website, please contact:
Brenda Jochum, Internship Director – University of Nebraska at Kearney
Department of Industrial Technology
(308) 865-8122 phone (308) 865-8976 fax