Today’s business priority is to hire those most able to apply their knowledge. In each of the six occupational categories there contains identifiable sets of common skills that must be performed effectively. These skills include:
- Instructing and Demonstrating – Teaching others how to do something
- Persuasion – Persuading others to accept your ideas and sales offers
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively
- Negotiating – Bringing others together to reconcile differences
- Identifying Customer Needs – Determining the kinds of products and services required to do a job
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Mathematics – Using mathematics to solve problems
- Applications Analysis – Analyzing needs and product requirements for unique applications
- Reading Comprehension – Understanding the written word in work related documents
- Social Perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ actions and reactions and understanding why they behave as they do
INTERESTS, ABILITIES and WORK VALUES Businesses seek success driven people who can communicate in a global marketplace. INTERESTS common to all technical sales representatives Those individuals with high interest in technical selling share three common behavioral traits; they are enterprising, realistic, and social. How do your interests stack up?
- Enterprising –They conduct themselves as entrepreneurs being self-motivated and self-directed. They’re able to initiate and carry through with ideas and projects; they’re leaders and decision makers. They can deal with rejection and are able to work in environments where risk is always present. They have winner instincts.
- Realistic – They like hands-on activities that include practical problem solving and innovative solutions that deal with real-world materials and equipment.
- Social – They like to help and provide service to others. They enjoy combining business with pleasure. They like social activities and sports such as golfing, dining, entertaining, communicating with and teaching people.
ABILITIES common to technical sales representatives If you can’t communicate, your other talents are almost meaningless (you can’t step on second base without stepping on first, so to speak). The most important communication abilities include:
- Oral expression – The ability to communicate and present information and ideas in ways so others will understand
- Speech Clarity – The ability to speak clearly so others will understand
- Oral Comprehension – The ability to listen and to understand information and ideas presented through the spoken word
- Written Expression – The ability to communicate information and ideas in writing so others will understand
- Written Comprehension – The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing
- Speech Recognition – The ability to identify and understand the speech of another person
WORK VALUES common to technical sales representatives If you value the opportunity to:
- be creative
- have responsibility and autonomy
- be independent
- be rewarded for achievement
- have job variety
- enjoy good working conditions
- receive excellent salaries and compensation packages
- belong to an ethical profession
Then you value the same things that most top gun technical sales representatives do.